Participant Feedback & Testimonials
Testimonial following previous Evaluation Tools and Skills workshop in Brisbane:
Why did I choose this course?
- A year earlier I attended Policy Skills’ Tools and Skills for Policy Practitioners which was a really good refresher, having studied public policy at university. I was impressed with the depth and breadth of policy experience of the facilitators – and the insights they brought to the course content.
- I decided to do the policy evaluation course because, as a policy practitioner, I wanted to develop a better understanding of evaluation and its place in the policy cycle.
- Evaluation is increasingly important with the increased focus on outcomes in government policy and programs. I wanted to learn more about incorporating evaluation questions and considerations at the front end of the policy process by incorporating them at the formulation and policy development stage.
- Being analytically minded, the rigour of evaluation appealed to me and I’m interested in steering my career in this direction of examining the effectiveness of public policy.
What did I get out of it?
- Having travelled to Brisbane from Perth to do the Policy Evaluation for Policy Practitioners short course and paid for it out of my own personal professional development budget, I was keen to get value for money.
- The course delivered. It definitely increased my understanding of policy evaluation and key evaluation tools– such as program logic - and its place in the policy cycle. What I learnt was readily applicable to, and enhanced, my work as a policy practitioner. [Unfortunately, too much for the agency that I was working for at the time!]
- Provided a good mix of theory and practice with key concepts applied through discussion and exercise on actual policy or evaluation reports.
- Facilitators clearly had significant professional experience in policy and evaluation and were eager to shape the course around the interests and learning objectives of attendees.
- During the training they were keen to critically discuss questions and apply course content to real work examples.
Critical feedback – what could be done better?
- I struggle to fault the course. It was delivered well, and for a short course, it was comprehensive. There was plenty to take away for ongoing learning.
- Yes, the course was more expensive than other policy evaluation courses offered by other training providers. Having done some of these courses, I consider the Policy Skills’ course to be at a much higher standard in terms of range, content and delivery, and on weight, far better value for money.
Would I recommend the course?
- Yes - I have recommended it to colleagues who are interested in policy and evaluation.