Project management for policy and programs
2 Day Workshop
Interactive learning suitable for practitioners at all levels. Learn from experts with years of policy development, planning and management experience.
- Know why and how to use project and program management for optimal policy process and outcomes
- Apply program and project management techniques and tools to your own projects
- Develop capability to manage projects and programs in a constantly changing environment
- Explore the reasons for policy failure and ways to avoid and respond to early signs
- Come away with stakeholder engagement and management tools and techniques
- Understand how to plan and execute evaluations to maximise outcomes
- Learn how to manage time, quality, people and political pressures
- Enhance your leadership ability
- Know how to balance control and flexibility to deal with uncertainty
Participants in the last workshop said:
"I had high expectations and wasn’t disappointed."
"Ray was a brilliant presenter – Presenters were very informed and experienced."
"I especially liked small group, tips/tools, ability to use something relevant to my work in a practical way."
"The applications and ideas will definitely be influencing my practice!"
"Thank you – this linked very well with last week’s Tools & Skills presentation. A great combination."
Free copy of The Australian Policy Handbook
This authoritative guide to the practice and process of public policy in Australia combines sound analysis and practical know-how in a handbook of great value to students, teachers and practitioners.
Professor Allan Fels, AO. Dean, Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG).
Download the PDF Brochure for full course details.
Day One: Policy Program and Project Management in Context
- Policy programs and projects
- The policy context and project management methodologies
- Management requirements for policy programs versus policy projects
- What determines failure versus success in policy programs and projects?
- Why use project management in a constantly changing and uncertain environment?
- How best-practice project management applies to policy development
- Understanding best-practice project management
- What are the interrelationships and dependencies between the elements?
- How project management supports the policy cycle
- Program and project leadership to optimise policy process and outcomes *
- How good program and project leadership achieves best policy results
- What makes good program and project managers good program and project leaders?
- Decision-making in policy program and project management
- The policy authorising environment
- Policy planning and scope management *
- Key ingredients of good planning
- Scope management – what is it?
- Tools and techniques to assist in scope determination and management
- Value management and its role in planning
- Managing policy on time, within budget, with limited resources *
- Estimation tools and techniques
- Application of the Pareto principle in programs and projects
- How to manage and influence budget, schedule and resources
- Control vs flexibility in policy projects and programs
Day Two: Policy Program and Project Management in action
- Risk and issue management on your project *
- Difference between risks and issues
- Identification and management of risks and issues – tools and techniques
- Benefits realisation and management through policy evaluation *
- Definition of benefits in the policy context
- How to prepare and use a benefits map to add value
- Realising and managing policy benefits beyond the life of the project or program
- Evaluation essentials
- Stakeholder planning, management and engagement essentials *
- Identifying and analysing stakeholders
- Managing and engaging stakeholders
- Communication essentials
- When policy projects start to fail and the use of project management to respond *
- How to recognise early warning signs of things going wrong
- Actions to take to minimise impact
- Assurance of effective governance
- Bringing it all together
- Recap of concepts and applications introduced
- Tools, templates and resources for further application and instruction
* Includes opportunity to apply to projects nominated by participants
2 Day Workshop $1,970
Register by 31 August and save $200.