Participant Feedback & Testimonials
Complete feedback from November 2016 Writing for Policy Results workshop in Brisbane View here
Complete feedback from November 2016 Evaluation Tools and Skills workshop in Brisbane View here
Complete feedback from December 2015 Tools and Skills workshop in Darwin View here
Complete feedback from June 2015 Evaluation Tools and Skills workshop in Brisbane View here
Complete feedback from April 2015 Tools and Skills workshop in Brisbane View here
Complete feedback from June 2012 Project and Program Management for Policy Practitioners in Brisbane View here
Complete feedback from June 2012 Tools and Skills workshop in Brisbane View here
Complete feedback from March 2012 Tools and Skills workshop in Brisbane View here
Testimonial following June 2015 Evaluation Tools and Skills workshop in Brisbane:
Why did I choose this course?
- A year earlier I attended Policy Skills’ Tools and Skills for Policy Practitioners which was a really good refresher, having studied public policy at university. I was impressed with the depth and breadth of policy experience of the facilitators – and the insights they brought to the course content.
- I decided to do the policy evaluation course because, as a policy practitioner, I wanted to develop a better understanding of evaluation and its place in the policy cycle.
- Evaluation is increasingly important with the increased focus on outcomes in government policy and programs. I wanted to learn more about incorporating evaluation questions and considerations at the front end of the policy process by incorporating them at the formulation and policy development stage.
- Being analytically minded, the rigour of evaluation appealed to me and I’m interested in steering my career in this direction of examining the effectiveness of public policy.
What did I get out of it?
- Having travelled to Brisbane from Perth to do the Policy Evaluation for Policy Practitioners short course and paid for it out of my own personal professional development budget, I was keen to get value for money.
- The course delivered. It definitely increased my understanding of policy evaluation and key evaluation tools– such as program logic - and its place in the policy cycle. What I learnt was readily applicable to, and enhanced, my work as a policy practitioner. [Unfortunately, too much for the agency that I was working for at the time!]
- Provided a good mix of theory and practice with key concepts applied through discussion and exercise on actual policy or evaluation reports.
- Facilitators clearly had significant professional experience in policy and evaluation and were eager to shape the course around the interests and learning objectives of attendees.
- During the training they were keen to critically discuss questions and apply course content to real work examples.
Critical feedback – what could be done better?
- I struggle to fault the course. It was delivered well, and for a short course, it was comprehensive. There was plenty to take away for ongoing learning.
- Yes, the course was more expensive than other policy evaluation courses offered by other training providers. Having done some of these courses, I consider the Policy Skills’ course to be at a much higher standard in terms of range, content and delivery, and on weight, far better value for money.
Would I recommend the course?
- Yes - I have recommended it to colleagues who are interested in policy and evaluation.